[SIGCIS-Members] Current use of floppy disks

MikeWillegal mike at willegal.net
Fri Nov 5 13:15:34 PDT 2021

A few years ago I was approached by what I remember as a small foundry in Colorado that was using an Apple II in a critical process control application.  Their Apple II was acting up and they were looking for someone to service it.  Since hard drives were relatively rarely used on Apple II series, I presume it was floppy based.  Later, a second company approached me with similar issues, but I think this was some kind of business/accounting application.

I told both of these businesses to buy a replacement Apple IIe on eBay as at that time they could be had for under $100 and even if they had to buy three of them to find a working one, they would be better off than hiring a consultant to repair the current system.

I presume that there are quite a number of older small businesses that don’t have the time or money to migrate to more modern systems.

-Mike Willegal