[SIGCIS-Members] Question about the Tiltman break in Lorenz cypher (1941)

E. Lazard Emmanuel.Lazard at dauphine.psl.eu
Mon May 24 15:38:46 PDT 2021

Exactly!
The whole decryption sequence from 372 to 375 is correct and uses full ITA2 naming but the p.351 table uses BP…
What also confused me is that Bauer writes (p.371):
"In this appendix, the symbol ‘1’, ‘2’ and ‘3’ are used for the control characters ‘letter shift’, ’space’ and ‘figure shift’. This is in accordance with the ITA."
Very well, but he doesn’t say anything about ‘4' and ‘5’ so I assumed they were like BP figures and not ITA2 (which I did not fully know about).

Another worse issue was with Wikipedia which used The ITA2 ‘5’ character (like Bauer) but mixed with the / and 8 characters from BP!!
It listed the second message starting with JSH5N ZYMFS /883I where Bauer correctly lists it as JSH5N ZYMFS 0115I
And since it seems everybody copied on wikipedia…

I’ve since corrected the Wikipedia page by consistently using BP naming in the example.

Regards
Emmanuel