[SIGCIS-Members] Identity Systems on Computer Networks

Avery Dame-Griff avery.dame at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:43:11 PST 2021

David,

While I don't have anything published ATM, I can share some anecdotes
related to LGBTQ-oriented BBSes, which often had users adopting other
identities. There's also anecdotal evidence that when transgender AOL users
were advocating to overturn the ban on use of "transsexual" and
"transvestite" (both were classified by content moderation as "offensive"
language), moderators contacted users under their legal names (which were
attached to their accounts for payment purposes) - a move that these users
took as an implied threat AOL could out them in retaliation.

Let me know if you'd like to talk further!

Best,
Avery

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 2:53 PM Meg Leta Jones <Meg.Jones at georgetown.edu>
wrote:

> Hi David,
> You might find Practicing privacy on other networks: network structures,
> economic arrangements, and identity strategies before cookies
> <https://www-tandfonline-com.proxy.library.georgetown.edu/doi/full/10.1080/24701475.2020.1747344> published
> recently in Internet Histories valuable.  I'm really interested in your
> project and hope you'll keep us/me updated!
> Meg
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 6:22 PM Kyra Ocean Rehn <disksurfing at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Cass,
>>
>> That’s great! Looking forward to hearing about your efforts as well.
>>
>> It’s been a few years so I’ll need to locate/de-scatter the resources and
>> send them over once I do.
>>
>> I’m glad that there’s interest as I was so thrilled when I discovered it
>> all—especially in that there was some research on identity happening
>> concurrently with nascent online culture.
>>
>> Be well,
>> KO ▋
>>
>> ĸyra oceaɴ reнɴ〈KEER-a REN〉
>> Artist⌁Researcher⌁Strategist⌁Curator
>> *↯* kyraocean.com   *↯* softdetours.com
>> On 20 Jan 2021, 15:10 -0800, Cassius Adair <ca2594 at nyu.edu>, wrote:
>>
>> Hi D.K., I'm really interested in seeing these materials too! I'm writing
>> about this material from a trans perspective-- I've done a little work on
>> anonymizing servers on Usenet, but I'm really curious about the FidoNet
>> stuff especially!
>>
>> Thanks so much,
>> Cass
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:04 PM D.K. Rehn <disksurfing at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Interesting topic! I’m looking forward to hearing more and seeing your
>>> resource pool.
>>>
>>> I can share a few things including:
>>>
>>> • a collection of discussions/newsletters from when FidoNet SysOps were
>>> heavily debating the enforcement of "real name" policies in the early 1990s
>>>
>>> • several journal articles also from the BBS era exploring how
>>> beneficial handles ("second lives" as one author declared) were for LGBTQ,
>>> at-risk, and bullied youth to freely explore their authentic self
>>>
>>> I’ll reach out directly soon.
>>>
>>> KO ▋
>>>
>>> ĸyra oceaɴ reнɴ〈KEER-a REN〉
>>> Artist⌁Researcher⌁Strategist⌁Curator
>>> *↯* kyraocean.com
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__kyraocean.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=YoVxr4qH9Mu53Kf1Z11YQQ&m=Z-OC5l3zJrHSjj1HIHBy5RSEpdMQv6cMWUk52uYqYIc&s=z8TWuQDxgI6qWAXJ005Kd3hFfBgF6PUQnyDyx7qTrmQ&e=>
>>>  *↯* softdetours.com
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__softdetours.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=YoVxr4qH9Mu53Kf1Z11YQQ&m=Z-OC5l3zJrHSjj1HIHBy5RSEpdMQv6cMWUk52uYqYIc&s=aD7AyP6tcPdLwTl1dXZpllP53mEfQQLhTTYcRLcIkD8&e=>
>>> On 20 Jan 2021, 14:25 -0800, D. Schmudde <d at schmud.de>, wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all -

> [...]

Avery Dame-Griff
Visiting Assistant Professor, Gender, Women's, and Sexuality Studies
Appalachian State University
Curator, Queer Digital History Project <http://queerdigital.com/>
averydame.net <http://www.averydame.net/>
avery.dame at gmail.com