[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of "vector" in vector graphics

Sam Kellogg samkellogg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 16:19:52 PST 2021

Hello Bernard, all,

Likewise enjoying eavesdropping on this thread! Perhaps this is already on
everyone's radar (more bad puns) but Michael J. Crowe's book *A History of
Vector Analysis: The Evolution of the Idea of a Vectorial System* is a
challenging and thorough work in the history of math; while it doesn't get
into graphics (or even digital computers) as far as I recall, it'd be a
good place to turn on the notion of the vector itself.

You might also take a look at this paper by Arthur Bryson, Walter Denham,
and Stuart Dryfus (control theorists working in aeronautics in the 1960's),
which I was looking at in the context of the history of optimization.
Again, maybe not directly relevant, but this was in an aeronautics journal,
I know for certain they were making extensive use of computers at the time,
and "vectors" are everywhere, so perhaps you are on to something?
Bryson, Arthur E., Walter F. Denham, and Stuart E. Dreyfus. “Optimal
Programming Problems with Inequality Constraints I: Necessary Conditions
for Extremal Solutions.” AIAA Journal 1, no. 11 (1963): 2544–50.
https://doi.org/10.2514/3.2107.

For what its worth, I started digging into Bryson and Denham's work for a
forthcoming essay on the history of metaphors used to describe gradient
optimization—happy to share some of that off-list.

All best,
Sam

Sam P. Kellogg
he/him // MCC, NYU <http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/mcc/> // samkellogg.com