[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: Origin of "vector" in vector graphics

Guy Fedorkow guy.fedorkow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:25:20 PST 2021

[oops, I meant to send this to the list, not just Bernard!]

hi Bernard,
   The term was used in the Whirlwind computer, SAGE's predecessor.
See the programming manual 2M-0277 from 1958 at
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/whirlwind/M-series/2M-0277_Whirlwind_Programming_Manual_Oct58.pdf.
   Page 63 gives this entry

    Vector Displays
    (a) The Vector Generator
    To aid in displaying alphanumerical data, drawing curves, plotting axes,
    etc., on the scopes, an automatic method of displaying vectors on
    the scopes is
    available. The coordinates of one end of the vector are determined
    by the contents

   Of course the Whirlwind guys were deep into air defense and aircraft
from the start, but they were also ace applied mathematicians, so I'm
guessing that calling a directed line a "vector" was the obvious thing
at the time.
   The word "vector" seems to appear almost a thousand times in the
corpus of Whirlwind documents available on the MIT DOME site, with
usages that seem both mathematical and aeronautical.
   /guy