[SIGCIS-Members] daily conditions on the ground

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 29 00:18:38 PDT 2021

Dear SIGCIS members,

I am looking for studies in the reception history of computing, ca.
1940-1960, that are based on evidence from widely available demotic
sources, chiefly newspapers and magazines, in N America and Europe. I'm
wanting to understand the social and political conditions ordinary
people (including academics when they were at home) encountered day to
day that would have conditioned their reactions and inclinations. Within
academia those I'm focused on would not be the insiders, rather their
curious or indifferent or back-turned sceptical colleagues.

Many thanks for any references or hints of where to look.

Yours,
WM
--
Willard McCarty,
Professor emeritus, King's College London;