[SIGCIS-Members] Query about invention of wired networking

Allan Olley allan.olley at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 25 09:47:49 PDT 2021

Hello,
 	I don't think anyone has mentioned two early fictional works that
might display some relevant ideas. The first one is the 1946 short story
"A Logic Named Joe" which imagines something like a computer using
networked repositories of information and responding to distant quiries,
but I have no read the story and I am not sure if two or more machines
ever collaborate beyond information storage and retrival. This story is
rather celebrated and easily found in various places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Logic_Named_Joe
 	Slighlty later is the 1954 Year of Consent which imagines a 1990
USA taken over by advertising executives with the help of powerful
computers that institute a surveillance society with computers doing such
things as facial recognition and administering lie detector enabled
interrogations. At one point the protaganist needs to evade the facial
recognition and relies on rather crude methods to do relying on the fact
that facial recognition is first done by less powerful, more easily
fooled, local computers and only when they fail are such jobs passed up to
the giant brain in DC that can not be so easily stymied. This book was
never republished and is somewhat obscure, but can be found at specialized
libraries and I think is cheap as a used book.
 	Based on those fictional examples my sense would be the idea of
networked computers was in the air even in the late 40s and early 50s.
 	A relevant World War II era technology that the US government
commissioned were machines that could convert punched cards (used in IBM
accounting machines) into teletype (used in telegraphy) and teletype into
punched cards. I assume this was used to ease the collection and sending
of data for inventory/logistical type calculations, although one can
imagine other uses may have occured such as collecting weather information
that might be used in caclualtion. Given this long history of sending
machine readable information over wire (and presumably via wireless
telegraphy/radio through the air) I think the idea of both remote
operation of computers (ie using a teletype to control a computer some
distance away) and even having multiple computers collaborate on a
calculation effort/program etc. may have come very easily.
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV4003.html
--
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley, PhD