[SIGCIS-Members] Query about invention of wired networking

Pierre Mounier-Kuhn mounier at msh-paris.fr
Wed Aug 25 01:32:03 PDT 2021

Hello Doug,

Other members (particularly Tom Haigh and Peter Eckstein) have objected already that Turing's 1936 paper Computable Numbers was essentially a solution to an abstract problem of mathematical logic, NOT the invention/project of a universal computer, which appeared a decade later in the ENIAC team and the Von Neumann reports. (Warning: You've innocently walked into a worldwide quarrel "Historians vs. Martin Davis' The Universal Computer: The Road from Leibniz to Turing" !)

Yet this does not alter the main object of your query, to which the answer is definitely your option n°2. As far as I know, just like designing the first computers was essentially an engineers' effort (inventing storage devices, etc.), "people first begin hooking computers up to one another experimentally, and then a theorist subsequently created an idea to describe/frame what was happening". Peter Eckstein's message mentions Binac, which is a remarkable "first" case; it was designed by an engineers' company to solve a practical problem.

>From what I have seen in Europe, the teams which designed early computers included telecom engineers, who quite "naturally" experimented with distant connections between a computer and a teleprinter, then imagined how to integrate computers in data networks and found a need for that in air-defense systems. An example is given in the memoirs of FH Raymond, published in 1989 in the Annals of the History of Computing , "SEA: An Adventure with a Sad Ending": This small French computer company demonstrated in 1955 a remote processing link between its Paris computer and a teleprinter installed in Brussels at a professional fair. Shortly after, Raymond wrote a report suggesting to replace, in the future, paper with electronic data in the phone directory. His company simultaneously participated in the design of computerized air-defense systems (the contract was finally won by IBM France in 1958), which brings us nearer to the interconnection of computers, not just to remote-processing. France was some 5 years behind the US and Britain in computer development, so what I describe here certainly goes for other countries. The Soviet side is particularly interesting (see "InterNyet", Sacha Gerovitch's publications, etc.)

For more suggestions of readings, I would just copy-paste Tom Haigh's message.
Regarding theoretical work, one could add a subsidiary question : To what extent were theoretical studies of digital networks extensions of studies about data flows within a computer (queuing problems, etc.), and what were the radically novel problems raised by digital network design?
Best,
Pierre

Pierre Mounier-Kuhn
CNRS, Sorbonne Université & CentraleSupelec
https://cnrs.academia.edu/PierreMounierKuhn
http://laboutique.edpsciences.fr/produit/846/9782759818198/Histoire%20illustree%20de%20linformatique
http://www.rdv-histoire.com/mounier-kuhn-pierre-eric