[SIGCIS-Members] whirlwind, radar and real-time tracking

dave walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 04:53:44 PDT 2021

As you know, Guy, by the 1949-50 and 1950-51 terms, Welchman was at MIT
teaching digital computing using Whirlwind as the example computer.  A
few years ago Forrester said he did not remember clearly why he had
Welchman teach 6.602, 6.535, and 6.536, but perhaps it was in order to
convince people at MIT that digital computing could replace analog
computing (I have the exact quote in an email someplace).  The MIT
Archive has copies of July 1948 letters relating to Welchman being hired
if some opportunity he was seeking in DC didn't work out.  I wonder if
the Archive has copies of other materials relevant to Welchman coming to
MIT (is the Archive still on Covid lockdown?).  Greenberg's biography of
Welchman may describe what the DC opportunity was; it does discuss his
later employment by MITRE.   It also has pages about Welchman's MIT team
planning algorithms to go on Whirlwind to let it do air traffic control,
later expanded to tracking while scanning.