[SIGCIS-Members] Request for biographies (Lovelace in the humanities)

Barbara B Walker bbwalker at unr.edu
Fri Sep 4 20:18:26 PDT 2020

Oops, sorry, I just saw Paul Ceruzzi’s reference to Betty Alexandra’s work on Ada Lovelace, and Aristotle Tympas’ to Brittain on Edith Clarke, so there are a few. My own favorite biography of Lovelace is in video form: “To Dream Tomorrow.” It’s very good indeed, and goes into detail about some of the issues that have held up women the world over – bad health, especially as related to childbirth, little if any financial control, etc. A nice description of the video is to be found at:

https://computerhistory.org/events/dream-tomorrow/

My female students have especially appreciated this movie as it reveals both the challenges to women and the persistence of one very talented woman. I have shown it in a humanities course just after teaching Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s “Emile,” which argues that girls’ education is to be very different from boys’, preparing them for the household rather than the strain of mental activity; and Mary Wollstonecraft’s later “A Vindication of the Rights of Women,” in which she argues that it is precisely the education of women to be obedient, emotional, and unable to use their minds that makes them less capable citizens. (Her argument for better female education is in part that this will make them better wives! – I guess she knew her audience…) Ada Lovelace’s mother, Lady Annabella Byron, was a follower of Wollstonecraft and educated her daughter fiercely for the life of the mind; Ada’s childhood illness and a strong inclination to math and invention led her into such 19th-century intellectual circles as that of Michael Faraday; somewhere in those circles she also met Babbage. If I have time I have even had my students declaim a poem or two by Ada’s father, the Romantic cult figure Lord Byron (“mad, bad, and dangerous to know”)! Not that she ever really knew her father…

The story of Ada and female education also dovetails nicely with a class meeting on Faraday and the Royal Institution – I have them read some of his Christmas Lectures for that. Usually the ones on gravity and electro-magnetism. He must have been an excellent speaker – the simplicity and clarity of those lectures amazes and delights my students.

Barbara Walker
Associate Professor
Department of History/308
University of Nevada, Reno