[SIGCIS-Members] Request for biographies

Kidwell, Peggy kidwellp at si.edu
Tue Sep 8 05:29:49 PDT 2020

Two books I'd mentions to expand the discussion toward history of mathematics are:

  1.  Karen Parshall's biography James Joseph Sylvester: Jewish Mathematician in a Victorian World , Baltimore: Johns Hopkins (2006).
  2.  David Lindsay Roberts's more recent volume, also from Hopkins, entitled Republic of Numbers. This is a delightful collection of biographical essays on figures contributing to the history of mathematics in the U.S. from Nathaniel Bowditch to John Nash. There are excellent references to full biographical works when these are available.

Good reading - and writing - to all.

Peggy Kidwell