[SIGCIS-Members] Debunking the myth of individual genius

Misti yangm7 at umd.edu
Sat Oct 24 05:16:46 PDT 2020

Hello!
I am very interested in this thread. I am curious what
scholars/theorists/readings people are using to help make sense of
cult-formation, myth-making, etc. I know a few that I find helpful and have
taught include:

   - Kenneth Burke's dramatism
   - MacIntyre, Alasdair. *After Virtue*. (In particular his insights on
   the role of characters.)
   - Bormann, Ernest G. "Fantasy and rhetorical vision: The rhetorical
   criticism of social reality." *Quarterly journal of speech* 58, no. 4
   (1972): 396-407.
   - Fisher, Walter R. "Narration as a human communication paradigm: The
   case of public moral argument." Communications Monographs 51, no. 1 (1984):
   1-22.
   - Ernst Cassirer, *Language and Myth*.

Misti Yang
Doctoral Candidate and Instructor
*Pronouns: she, her, hers*
www.mistiyang.com
Department of Communication | The University of Maryland
0107 Skinner Building, 4300 Chapel Lane
College Park, MD 20742