[SIGCIS-Members] Noticing computer history - new Walden essay

dave walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:34:14 PDT 2020

Thank you, Andy.

On 10/12/2020 11:05 AM, Andrew Russell wrote:
> Dave’s recent essay, “Noticing history - a personal view” is published
> in the most recent edition of TUGboat -
> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb41-2/tb128walden-noticing.pdf (issue ToC is
> here: https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb41-2/).

The first url above has been arranged to take you to the essay. The link
to the essay from the TOC doesn't get you there because much of the
content of issues of the journal is for members-only until the next
issue (three times a year) is published; after that issues are
completely open access.  On the other hand, the presentations from the
conference, whether in the proceedings issue or not, are publicly
available at
  https://www.youtube.com/c/TeXUsersGroup/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=2

Naturally are lot of the presentations are about TeX or LaTeX or another
TeX-derived system.  However, others are of more general interest; see
the entire list at:
  http://tug.org/tug2020/program.html
For instance, see the presentation of the person who invented Pandoc
which I can imagine might be of use in some computing history publishing
situations:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9uZJFO54iM&list=PLLt9mKFAx-FaG0NA6akvvujgIdCus-Ct
The following was a favorite for me:
  youtube.com/watch?v=7Cm2AcQiUuk
(it's history even if not computing history).

If you have comments on the essay (either supporting my argument or
arguing against it), I would love to see them -- either sent to this
list or to me at my email address.  I am thinking about how to improve
the essay in a revised version -- to make it more compelling for
practitioners.

Dave