[SIGCIS-Members] Percy Ludgate 1883-1922 - Irish Computer Pioneer

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Nov 20 06:12:55 PST 2020

Hi:

During the last few years I’ve been involved in a project led by Brian Coghlan (Trinity College, Dublin) investigating the Life and work of Percy Ludgate.

The paper that has been produced on the work of the project to date has just been accepted by the IEEE Annals.  The full text of the paper is available at:

 https://www.scss.tcd.ie/SCSSTreasuresCatalog/miscellany/TCD-SCSS-X.20121208.002/BrianCoghlanEtal-PercyLudgate-IEEE2020.pdf

Abstract: Percy Edwin Ludgate (1883-1922) is notable as the second person to publish a design for an Analytical Machine, the first after Babbage’s “Analytical Engine”. We outline the initial results of the first new investigation into the work and life of Percy Ludgate since Randell’s papers of nearly 50 years ago and nearly 100 years after Ludgate’s death. Firstly we examine the principles of his machine and how it was constructed and worked. Secondly we outline his life. We present a range of new material, including two significant discoveries, one concerning Ludgate’s machine, the other his family.

Cheers

Brian Randell
—

School of Computing, Newcastle University, 1 Science Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 5TG
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk<mailto:Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk>   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html