[SIGCIS-Members] IBM Apologizes For Firing Computer Pioneer For Being Transgender...52 Years Later

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Nov 20 03:01:04 PST 2020

Hi:

I was delighted to see this news story about Lynn Conway at last receiving an apology from IBM for the way she was treated over her gender transition.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyalicandri/2020/11/18/ibm-apologizes-for-firing-computer-pioneer/

Her amazing career is well-summarised in Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Conway

I worked with Lynn in the 1960s  in IBM’s ACS Project. I told the story of our collaboration, on Dynamic Instruction Scheduling, and of how I learned of her subsequent career and triumphs over adversity,  in an IEEE Annals of the History of Computing paper - whose text is available at https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/326580149.pdf

Cheers

Brian Randell