[SIGCIS-Members] Programmer vs. coder vs. sofware developer vs. software engineer

Deborah Douglas ddouglas at mit.edu
Wed May 6 14:11:36 PDT 2020

And anyone can call themselves a historian!  (-:

Debbie Douglas

On May 6, 2020, at 2:55 PM, Marc Weber <marc at webhistory.org<mailto:marc at webhistory.org>> wrote:

Speaking of title creep, at the Computer History Museum we’ve found it amusing to see how the uses of “curator” and “to curate” have expanded in the last few years. For instance, "How to Upgrade Your Social Media Marketing Strategy as a Social Curator<https://quuu.co/blog/social-curator/>," or  “How to curate your personal style through Instagram<https://beingboss.club/articles/curate-personal-style-instagram>.”

 “Electrician” is an old example of title creep. In the late 19th century as the first power grids were being built it was roughly equivalent to “Electrical Engineer” today, and apparently felt as mysterious and futuristic as “AI Curator<https://www.gallereo.com/blog-the-ai-curator-post-2109-55.html>” might now. W. Bernard Carlson’s biography of Tesla gives a number of contemporary examples of usage.

Best, Marc

Marc Weber<http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Marc,Weber/>  |   marc at webhistory.org<mailto:marc at webhistory.org>  |   +1 415 282 6868
Curatorial Director, Internet History Program
Computer History Museum, 1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043
computerhistory.org/nethistory<http://computerhistory.org/nethistory>  |  Co-founder, Web History Center and Project