[SIGCIS-Members] Programmer vs. coder vs. sofware developer vs. software engineer

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:00:48 PDT 2020

Bill,

For a short take you might like Ian Bogost's 2015 Atlantic piece titled
Programmers Stop Calling Yourself Engineers:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/programmers-should-not-call-themselves-engineers/414271/

And to Cortada's mention of the sociology of professions I might also
recommend Burton Bledstein's The Culture of Professionalism.  (Side story:
I was appalled to see my library "remaindering" this book a few years ago
-- I'm now its proud owner).

Best,

Luke Fernandez
lfernandez.org