[SIGCIS-Members] Tree diagrams in computer science and other fields (i.e. genealogy)

Warren Sack wsack at ucsc.edu
Thu Mar 26 19:30:36 PDT 2020

Yes, Alexander's article, "A City is Not a Tree," was quite explicit about
this kind of formalist modeling of pedestrian flows through architecture
and urban spaces.  Alexander tells us that trees are not good!  As far as I
know, he didn't continue in that vein for too long, but Bill Hillier and
Julienne Hanson at UCL developed an analytic tool they called "space
syntax" (as elaborated in their book, _The social logic of space_ (1984)
and illustrated with a bunch of graphs and tree diagrams, like the
attached) that took "tree diagram reasoning" in architecture to another
level.

Best,

-Warren

Warren SACK
Chair + Professor, Film + Digital Media, University of California, Santa
Cruz
Editorial Group Member, *Computational Culture: A Journal of Software
Studies*
Book: *The Software Arts* (MIT Press, 2019)
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/software-arts