[SIGCIS-Members] Was email really already 75% of ARPANET traffic by 1973?

thomas.haigh at gmail.com thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:24:10 PDT 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET: "In 1971, Ray Tomlinson, of BBN sent the first network e-mail (RFC 524, RFC 561). By 1973, e-mail constituted 75% of the ARPANET traffic.[9][84]"

There are two citations, so straight a "citation needed" flag might not convince people. However one is to a Ray Tomlinson page that does not include the figure. The other is to a book chapter by communications scholar Leah A. Lievrouw, but the page pointed to by the link doesn't seem to include the figure either. (That page does cite the Ceruzzi history we're working to revise).

So the two references go with the first sentence of the short paragraph, not the second which is unsourced. A better general citation for the creation and rapid adoption of Internet email would actually be pages 106-111 of Abbate.

Tom