[SIGCIS-Members] Was email really already 75% of ARPANET traffic by 1973?

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Wed Jul 29 15:54:24 PDT 2020

On 7/29/20 11:18 PM, Win Treese wrote:

>> On Jul 29, 2020, at 4:22 PM, <thomas.haigh at gmail.com> <thomas.haigh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> The figure is also in Wikipedia, without a real source, so I'm acutely aware that it's one of those factoids that historians and journalists will find somewhere like Wikipedia or the Hobbes Timeline and then copy, thus creating a "reliable source" that Wikipedia can then cite to support the information. It's like a time paradox.
>
> Of course, there’s an XKCD for that: https://xkcd.com/978/.

If we know which Wikipedia article exactly, the best thing to do would
be to add a [[citation needed]] flag, or even better, to link to this
SIGCIS thread in the artcile talk page with a short explanation. If you
point me to the article, I can do that as a contribution to restore
XKCD's faith in Wikipedia :)

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet