[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of "Hobbes" figures for Web server growth during the 1990s

Marc Weber marc at webhistory.org
Tue Jul 21 16:57:05 PDT 2020

Hi Tom,

There are a couple of figures on the very earliest years in the timeline in Web pioneer Kevin Hughes’ "From Webspace to Cyberspace,” attached.

After 1996, the Internet Archive is likely to have some accurate figures from their Web crawl.

Let me know offline if you want me to put you in touch with Kevin or folks at the Archive for further info/ideas.

You might also consider contacting ISOC or W3C.

Best, Marc

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 15:31, <thomas.haigh at gmail.com> <thomas.haigh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello SIGCIS,
>
> One of the final highlighted items in the endnotes for the Revised History of Modern Computing is a note to support figures given for the rapid growth of Web servers during the 1990s. I’m writing to share what I was able to figure out with a few hours of web searching and to ask if anyone has more authoritative knowledge of this.
>
> When we drafted the relevant part of the text, we just grabbed numbers from the so-called “Hobbes’ Internet Timeline” at https://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/#Growth <https://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/#Growth>
>
> <image003.jpg>
>
> The 1990s data appears in the tabular inset. 10, 50, and 100,000 are suspiciously round numbers, and 1 is clearly a retroactive data point rather than the result of a count. Other numbers like 646,162 give the impression of an actual count of some kind. So now the challenge is to figure out where those numbers came from and what was being counted.
>
> An archive version from 2001 (https://web.archive.org/web/20010220202319/https://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/#Growth <https://web.archive.org/web/20010220202319/https:/www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/#Growth>) has more detailed data for 1996-2000, but lacks the first three data points for 1/90 to 12/92.
>
> <image008.jpg>
>
> A note at the bottom reads
>
> “WWW growth summary compiled from:
>   - Web growth summary page by Matthew Gray of MIT:
>              http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/net/web-growth-summary.html <http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/net/web-growth-summary.html>
>   - Netcraft at http://www.netcraft.com/survey/ <http://www.netcraft.com/survey/>”
>
> So then I followed http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/net/web-growth-summary.html <http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/net/web-growth-summary.html> which, remarkably, is still live. The personal page of Matthew K. Gray provides the source of the Hobbes figures from 1993 to early 1996. The final two rows (not used by Hobbes) are labelled as “est” for estimate, which implies that the other rows are somehow counted.
>
> <image005.png>

> [...]

Marc Weber <http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Marc,Weber/>  |   marc at webhistory.org  |   +1 415 282 6868
Internet History Program Curatorial Director, Computer History Museum
1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043 computerhistory.org/nethistory <http://computerhistory.org/nethistory>
Co-founder, Web History Center and Project, webhistory.org