[SIGCIS-Members] the nature of computational error

Paul N. Edwards pedwards at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 3 13:18:59 PDT 2020

Rounding error is ubiquitous and unavoidable in digital computers, but with high precision computing (64-bit, 128-bit) it’s so small as to be negligible.

However, in cases where the same computation is performed many thousands or millions of times, it can still accumulate to a point that it’s significant.

MacKenzie, D. (1993). Negotiating Arithmetic, Constructing Proof: The Sociology of Mathematics and Information Technology. Social Studies of Science, 23(1), 37-65.

Also see the short examples of this in my book A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming (MIT Press, 2010), pages 177-178.

Best,

Paul