[SIGCIS-Members] An Encyclopaedia Britannica query, regarding Percy Ludgate

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Dec 28 08:10:11 PST 2020

Hi:

Season's Greetings everyone!

I was wondering whether there was anyone on the list who has easy access to the 14th edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica (1929).

I am trying to find out whether the article "Calculating Machines" by D. Baxandall has any mention of Percy Ludgate (1883-1922), the Irish computer pioneer. (I've been helping with a new paper on Percy Ludgate that has just been accepted by the Annals - see https://www.computer.org/csdl/magazine/an/5555/01/09261950/1oPzQDvL4k0 )

Baxandall's 1926 Science Museum catalogue "Calculating Instruments and Machine" did contain a mention of Ludgate - the only one I know of in the period between the First and Second World Wars. However, I've only just recalled that Baxandall contributed an abridgement of this to the 14th edition, and I am wondering whether he repeated anything about Ludgate from his 1926 Science Museum publication.

Best wishes for the New Year

Stay safe!

Brian Randell

—

School of Computing, Newcastle University, 1 Science Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 5TG
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html