[SIGCIS-Members] Bits & Bytes: News from the Charles Babbage Institute

Jeffrey Yost yostx003 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 23 09:41:00 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below the new CBI* Bits & Bytes*.  In addition to write-ups of
the October 2020 online symposium CBI's "Just Code: Power, Inequality, and
the Global Political Economy of IT" (very special thanks from Con and I to
our tremendous authors/presenters and to so many of you for attending), it
contains news of a major new AI collection just acquired (and other CBI
Archives news), a biography/remembrance of Gideon Gartner, and reminders of
the Tomash Fellowship and Norberg Grants (for 2021 remote CBI archives
use/scanning) competitions, both with deadlines in about three weeks (Jan.
15, 2021). Amanda and I also encourage submissions of short essays (2,000
to 3,500 words) on any topic/theme in computing and culture to the
interdisciplinary journal *Interfaces: Essays and Reviews in Computing &
Culture*.  We have some terrific content in the works for *Interfaces *in
early 2021! Wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season!

Best, Jeff

Fall/Winter edition of CBI's e-newsletter.
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/d9e41ab79cc8/cbi-bits-and-bytes-9442924?e=7e9b315345>
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=f3fe05411d&e=7e9b315345>
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=c64c543cbe&e=7e9b315345>
*Bits & Bytes: News from CBI*

*Help us build a brighter tomorrow for the study of computing and
culture.  *
Give today!
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=ff6e15995e&e=7e9b315345>

*Director's Desk*
The global pandemic has temporarily changed our location of most of our
work, but not the core of what we do—to work tirelessly to advance the
understanding of computing’s past through our own research, and especially,
facilitating the research of many others globally with our events, editing,
and assistance and advice on projects and resources. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=36f0773a7f&e=7e9b315345>

*Wrap up of CBI’s “Just Code” Symposium*
On Friday and Saturday, October 23 - 24, CBI held its interdisciplinary
online symposium, “Just Code: Power, Inequality, and the Global Political
Economy of IT," and was a grand success in every measure  Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=2b79a6a1bb&e=7e9b315345>

 *Behind the Scenes at Just Code: Thoughts from Our Graduate Associates*

Katherine Buse (PhD Candidate at UC Davis) and Lauren Ruhrold (PhD
Candidate at UMN) worked as graduate program associates for the 2020 Just
Code Symposium. Conference organizers Jeffrey Yost and Gerardo Con Diaz
asked them to reflect on their experiences attending the conference and
working behind-the-scenes. Their participation yielded new insights about
power, technology, pedagogy, and their own research. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=d32b114ce6&e=7e9b315345>
* From the Archives*
This has been an interesting year for the Charles Babbage Institute
Archives. Since March, U of M staff have largely been working remotely,
including many of the Libraries full-time staff, and we’ve learned a number
of lessons about service delivery and ensuring open access to our
collections. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=f350673003&e=7e9b315345>

 *New CBI website to launch in late January*
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=3db9250499&e=7e9b315345>

The Charles Babbage Institute (CBI) is thrilled to announce that we will
have a new website come next month. The site built in a much more
user-friendly layout will allow for increased accessibility and improve the
overall user experience for our visitors. *Read more*.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=1b34f98a2a&e=7e9b315345>
*Interfaces: Essays and Reviews in Computing and Culture; Ongoing Call for
Papers*
In June 2020 Charles Babbage Institute for Computing, Information, and
Culture (CBI) launched a new E-Journal, entitled *I**nterfaces: Essays and
Reviews in Computing and Culture*. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=4042558895&e=7e9b315345>
*Remembering Gideon Gartner*
Gideon Gartner, an unparalleled pioneer in innovating IT industry market
research and analysis services and products passed away on Saturday,
October 12, 2020. He and his wife Sarah have been extremely supportive of
CBI’s research and archives programs, for which we are tremendously
grateful. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=a29bd0a0dd&e=7e9b315345>
*Now accepting applications for the Tomash Fellowship in the History of IT*

CBI is pleased to announce we are currently accepting applications for the
2021-2022 Tomash Fellowship in the History of Information Technology. The
fellowship will be awarded to a graduate student for doctoral dissertation
research in the history of computing. Read more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=71dfc822e5&e=7e9b315345>
*Announcing 2021 Norberg Grant for CBIA Use*
Each year, the Arthur L. Norberg Travel Fund within the Charles Babbage
Institute (CBI) provides short-term grants-in-aid to help scholars with
travel expenses to use the collections at CBI. Given the global COVID-19
pandemic, we will be awarding grants to use the collections remotely in
2021 through placing scanning orders based on our finding aids/guides. *Read
more.*
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=d67b77b83d&e=7e9b315345>
*Solid State nominated for a Midwest Emmy*
Two outstanding local public TV productions used Libraries’ resources in
their runs for a Midwest Emmy. One was successful; each is worth a look. Read
more.
<https://umn.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ac86934aa6cefdac2c4dcaa2e&id=ec2fb71b70&e=7e9b315345>

Subscribe
<cbi at umn.edu?subject=I%20would%20like%20to%20receive%20Bits%20%26%20Bytes%20from%20CBI>