[SIGCIS-Members] software in univ admin, admissions, budgets, research mgmt 1970-2020

Mark J. Nelson mjn at anadrome.org
Sun Sep 15 17:23:55 PDT 2019

There is a *little* bit of documentation of this for the case of
Carnegie Mellon University scattered through the anthology _Computing
and Change on Campus_ (eds. Sarah Kiesler & Lee Sproull, University of
Cambridge Press, 1987).

In particular, Ch. 10 by Suzanne Penn Weisband, "Instrumental and
Symbolic Aspects of an Executive Information System", briefly discusses
the origin of a software system, EIS, used by CMU administrators. In her
telling it was mostly just cobbled together out of software already
installed on CMU's existing mainframes, tied together with a new
manual. The most relevant discussion (I think) is on p. 154, around "the
Computation Center staff did not design any special software programs
for EIS ... though a budget planning data base was promised for the near
future".

-Mark

--
Mark J. Nelson