[SIGCIS-Members] Documentation of AOL in mid-1990s

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Sep 11 15:02:57 PDT 2019

I recall at the HOPE conference a few years back Jason Scott saying he is
collecting AoL CDs.

See https://archive.org/details/HOPE-11-a24-Now_and_Then_Here_and_There about
19 mins in.

joly

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:45 PM Avery Dame-Griff <avery.dame at gmail.com>
wrote:

>   All,
>
> I've had limited locating these on my own, so I wonder if anyone has any
> suggestions: Are there archives (official or community-based) of documents
> related to America Online, especially during its mid-1990s boom? I'm
> especially interested in two things: A) Guides/Community Leaders'
> day-to-day practices around policing offensive content and B) AOL's
> relationship to independent community-oriented content providers (including
> compensation rates, contracts, etc.).
>
> Some documentation of Guide practices and policies exists, but there's
> almost nothing about the latter - it's my suspicion most users didn't even
> know some forums were run by independent contractors.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Avery Dame-Griff
>
> --
> Avery Dame-Griff
> Lecturer, Communication Studies/Women and Gender Studies (Spring 2020)
> Gonzaga University
> Curator, Queer Digital History Project <http://queerdigital.com/>
> averydame.net <http://www.averydame.net/>
> avery.dame at gmail.com

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast