[SIGCIS-Members] New history of voluntary standard setting, including coverage of internet and web standard setting in IETF and W3C

JoAnne Yates jyates at mit.edu
Wed May 8 05:41:00 PDT 2019

Hi, SIGCIS  members-

I'm happy to announce that my new book, Engineering Rules: Global Standard Setting Since 1880 (co-authored with my husband, Craig N. Murphy), is now available through Johns Hopkins University Press. This book focuses on the engineers and organizations who create the voluntary standards we depend on to make our world work, starting in the late 19th century and coming up to the present. Two chapters of it are devoted to internet and web standardizing in IETF and W3C, including a detailed case history of one W3C Working Group. In writing about IETF I draw extensively on the work of two members of this community, Janet Abbate and Andrew Russell. Thanks to both of you for your excellent work in this area.

The book is available from JHUP at a 20% discount if you go to https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/title/engineering-rules and enter the promotional code HTWN at checkout.

Best,

JoAnne Yates
Sloan Distinguished Professor of Management
MIT Sloan School of Management