[SIGCIS-Members] English commands and keywords in programming

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Aug 4 08:32:39 PDT 2019

I don't have any answers to this question, but here's a minor but
hopefully interesting point on a related topic...

Developers catering for mainly British and Commonwealth audiences were
occasionally faced with the decision as to whether to implement
particular terms in British English, or in the US English that was
usually the basis of any existing precedent. This was notably the case
for the keyword COLOR/COLOUR in some implementations of the Basic
language for 8-bit microcomputers in the 1980s, colour graphics being at
that time largely a matter of platform-specific hardware capabilities
and thus entirely unstandardised.

Of the major British-originated platforms, both the Sinclair Spectrum
and Amstrad CPC series had platform-specific Basic dialects which
managed to avoid the issue entirely using alternative terms such as INK
– I don't know whether by coincidence or design. The Dragon series
simply used COLOR: its Basic was apparently an almost unmodified
implementation of the Microsoft-originated Extended Color Basic.

The spelling COLOUR was, however, used for the BBC Microcomputer series,
developed by Acorn for the national public broadcaster's Computer
Literacy Project and widely used in British schools. Originally, COLOR
was not recognised and would result in an error message. In 1983, with
Acorn making an (ultimately abortive) effort to break into the American
market, one of the very few changes between versions 2 and 3 of BBC
Basic was to accept COLOR interchangeably with COLOUR.

Since keywords were stored internally as tokens rather than in full
text, this resulted in a trivial but practical example of automated
international translation. Whichever spelling the programmer used, the
command to LIST the program would show COLOUR consistently on the
default installation and COLOR on the US export model.

All best
James