[SIGCIS-Members] English commands and keywords in programming

JoAnne Yates jyates at mit.edu
Sat Aug 3 18:12:13 PDT 2019

I can suggest one general reason for the use of English, not based on particular knowledge of these programming languages. International standardization through ISO and IEC (the two international and non-governmental standard setting bodies at that time) was officially done in English and French. The IEC (international Electrotechnical Commission) had used the two languages since its founding in 1906. After World War II, the Soviet Union got the newly formed ISO to list Russian as a third official language, but only by agreeing to do all translation into Russian itself.  Russian was not used for the original standards themselves. Throughout the Cold War, engineers from both sides of the Iron curtain participated in ISO standard setting meetings, which were held in Eastern Bloc countries as well as in the west, but always in English and/or French. The ACM also participated in such national and international voluntary standard setting, in English. These language norms for technical standardization were surely one reason for the choice of English for computer languages.

Discussion of international voluntary standard setting (as well as some discussion of early standard setting around computers and software) can be found in our new book, Engineering Rules: Global Standard Setting Since 1880 (John’s Hopkins Press, 2019), by JoAnne Yates and Craig N. Murphy.

JoAnne Yates

Sent from my iPad