[SIGCIS-Members] Fact Checking Before Internet

James Cortada jcortada at umn.edu
Sat Dec 1 06:42:38 PST 2018

Bill Aspray and I are exploring how fact checking was done between the
early 1950s and the mid-1990s using computers and networks, that is to say,
before the wide use of the Internet, snopes, Wiki etc. If you are aware of
specific examples, or documentation, about this use of computing, please
let us know. We are interested in all manner of fact checking, not limiting
it to press challenges of statements by politicians, hoaxes, and faulty
scientific research.  Thanks for your help.

--
James W. Cortada
Senior Research Fellow
jcortada at umn.edu