[SIGCIS-Members] A Call to Action for Scholars of American History: Contribute to Wikipedia

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 07:14:17 PDT 2018

Hi:

I’ve just learned of this posting on the blog of the Archivist of the United States:

    https://aotus.blogs.archives.gov/2018/08/21/a-call-to-action-for-scholars-of-american-history-contribute-to-wikipedia/

> A Call to Action for Scholars of American History: Contribute to Wikipedia
> Posted on August 21, 2018by davidferriero
> Our mission at the National Archives is to drive openness, cultivate public participation, and strengthen our nation’s democracy through public access to government records.  We are fast approaching the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, a hallmark of the expansion of democracy here in the United States. On March 8, we will open our exhibit, Rightfully Hers: American Women and the Vote, which celebrates its modern relevance through inclusive retelling of the women’s suffrage movement.
>
> As the National Archives, along with many other organizations, prepares for the 19th Amendment’s centennial we are working hard to increase access to the records we hold around women’s suffrage. One way we are doing this is by collaborating with Wiki Education, a nonprofit focused on empowering people to expand and improve Wikipedia content for the benefit of all. Through this collaboration, Wiki Education is launching a new virtual, immersive training course designed to give participants the skills and practical experience necessary to improve Wikipedia coverage of the history of women’s voting rights in the United States.
>
> Participants in this new course will have the privilege of working with NARA’s subject matter experts on documents related to women’s suffrage and will learn how to use National Archives records to improve Wikipedia’s coverage of this historic period in our nation’s history. For scholars with a passion for American history, this presents a chance to improve the content of Wikipedia and make it more representative, accurate, and complete using original source materials. Channeling NARA collections into Wikipedia is an opportunity to share our content more broadly and connect with people across the United States and around the world.
<snip>

It strikes me that such a call could be equally appropriate for improving Wikipedia’s coverage of the history of women’s contributions to computing.

Cheers

Brian Randell
—

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html