[SIGCIS-Members] Undergraduate accessible reading on the evolution of the computer user?

Kevin Driscoll kdriscoll at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 17 17:17:46 PDT 2018

Hi Shreeharsh,

In the past, I have assigned selections from "Computer" for a similar
purpose. You might find passages that offer precisely the comparison you
wish to make:
- Campbell-Kelly, Martin, William Aspray, Nathan Ensmenger, and Jeffrey R
Yost. Computer: A History of the Information Machine, 2018.

This year, I am particularly excited to try a new reading in my media
history course:
- Petrick, E. “Imagining the Personal Computer: Conceptualizations of the
Homebrew Computer Club 1975-1977.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
39, no. 4 (October 2017): 27-39. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAHC.2018.1221045.

Not only does Petrick's paper dig into the particular concerns of early
enthusiasts, but it lends itself well to the classroom. The Homebrew
newsletters are widely available on the web so you can ask students to
trace the citations in the paper back to their primary sources. I'm looking
forward to hearing what undergrads think about these unusual documents.

Best of luck!
Kevin Driscoll