[SIGCIS-Members] Email "inventor" claimant to run for U.S. Senate -- alternative facts about technology and democracy collide

Pierre MOUNIER-KUHN mounier at msh-paris.fr
Mon Sep 18 14:51:29 PDT 2017

Thanks a lot, Luke, for these interesting observations. Two things come to my mind:

1) "that tools are more important than politics; they eventually morph into code and then into law." looks like a good expression of technical determinism. It fits with the now widespread belief that "Law must adapt to Technology".

2) I don't know it is relevant to your query on the civic orientation of engineers, but years ago we had a good doctoral dissertation defended at the Sorbonne about Engineers in French Parliament since the mid-XIXth century. It revealed that Engineers had been most present in the French Parliament during the 2nd Empire (Napoleon III, 1852-1870), an authoritarian regime which favored the creation of technical schools, the development of railways and telegraph, and the industrial revolution in general. Engineers in this context had considerable leeway to push their agenda. Their number decreased sharply during the following 3rd Republic, which was ruled mainly by lawyers, local notabilities and professors.

Best,
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn

PS : Sorry not to be able to join you all at the SHOT & SIGCIS meetings next month: We are opening a Turing exhibition at the new Museum of Computing, in Namur (Belgium) – a must-see for SIGCIS members travelling in Europe, by the way.

CNRS & Université Paris-Sorbonne
https://cnrs.academia.edu/PierreMounierKuhn
http://www.centrerolandmousnier.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/CV-de-Pierre-Mounier-Kuhn1.pdf
http://koyre.ehess.fr/docannexe/file/2183/mounier_kuhn_cv_anglais_2016.compressed.pdf