[SIGCIS-Members] First information explosion in history

Chuck House housec1839 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:24:08 PDT 2017

This will be anecdotal instead of ‘researched’, but I was involved intermittently from 1964 through 1991 with HP Böblingen, a few hundred meters from the IBM Sindelfingen plant.  I ran an HP division there from the states.  I also am the several-hour interviewer of Joel Birnbaum, the only Chief Engineer of both IBM and HP in history, for the Computer History Museum, and co-author of The HP Phenomenon.    I did not interview Joel re the German team, but could go back and do so.

There was considerable discussion one evening in Böblingen with local HP execs and engineers about the origins of the IBM plant, which as I recall would support your findings.  My guess is that we could find living practitioners who could lend considerable insight if we hurry.

Chuck House