[SIGCIS-Members] more SIGCIS spam

Warren R. Carithers wrc at cs.rit.edu
Mon Nov 27 11:41:54 PST 2017

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017, Paul Edwards wrote:

> Hi all - I?ve received one spam email from this person via SIGCIS,
> and now s/he is following up with another.
>
> Anyone else being harassed by him/her ? or possibly ?it??
>
> Given the other recent spam, it?s looking like there is some back door
> to the member directory.

I've received a couple of emails from this person which were virtually
identical to the one you forwarded, down to the "The Special Interest
Group for Computers, Information, and Society Directory" part, which
suggests that you're correct.  However, neither was sent to the email
address I gave SIGCIS.

Just this morning I finally received my own copy of the phishing email
containing the "SIGCIS.pdf" file.  I haven't opened it.

- Warren

Warren R. Carithers        wrc at cs.rit.edu
RIT Computer Science       http://www.cs.rit.edu/~wrc/
102 Lomb Memorial Drive    Tel: (585) 475-5393
Rochester, NY 14623-5608   Fax: (585) 475-4935

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE (meaningless addendum, mandated by RIT policy):
The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only
for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon
recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and destroy any copies of this information.  So there.