[SIGCIS-Members] History of gendered terms, e.g., "motherboard"

Andre Brock brocka at umich.edu
Wed May 24 15:17:46 PDT 2017

Paul,

Given that Dr. Sweeney's post specifically referenced the Rankin discussion
thread, I'm not sure where you feel your work was impugned.  Your inexact
comment about gender and sex, particularly with reference to how 'silly' it
was to not see the "value as readily understood descriptors of physical
structure and/or relationships", when read in comparison to the Rankin
thread, certainly reads as dismissive, much the same way as Paul Rankin's
attempt to 'discipline' Dr. Sweeney's research and institutional
credentials.

Kudos on your work over the last few decades to promote gender studies in
the history of computing, but given the ways that i've seen SIGCIS members
respond to discussions involving race/gender/sexuality, there's still a
long way to go before those topics are accepted as legitimate subjects of
inquiry on this discussion list, much less in this field.

Finally, a friendly word.  Your credentials 'hail' you as a historian and
scholar of technology, but your identity as an ally to those from
underrepresented groups is performed from moment to moment; particularly
given the ongoing discussions here and elsewhere.  Crediting the men in
this thread for their 'courteous, friendly, and thoughtful' contributions
without recognizing the legitimately powerful affirmations of the female
scholars who commented here ('it would be great if more women would chime
in here')- or by not calling out the actions of your male colleagues in the
Rankin thread  - does not read as allyship 'in the moment'.

Collegially,

A.

Andre Brock
Assistant Professor, Communication Studies
University of Michigan