[SIGCIS-Members] History of gendered terms, e.g., "motherboard"

Bernard Geoghegan bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu
Wed May 24 12:19:29 PDT 2017

Dear All,

Caitlin, I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Following up on
Elinor, Chun's first book on "Control and Freedom" also touches on the
gendered language male and female ports, etc. I think Avital Ronell
touched on similar topics in a discussion of switchboards and operators
in the telephone system--an important source for a lot of informatic
metaphors and techniques. I saw it in one of Ronell's essays leading up
to her "Telephone Book," but the exact citation slips my mind. Dr. Emily
Goodmann <emily.goodmann at gmail.com> -- on this listserv? -- knows a
whole lot more about that literature, maybe she'll pipe in!

--
Bernard Geoghegan
Senior Lecturer, Media & Communication, Coventry University (UK)