[SIGCIS-Members] History of gendered terms, e.g., "motherboard"

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Wed May 24 08:09:00 PDT 2017

I'll add a cautionary, yet amusing, anecdote related to the use of
the parent/child metaphor with OS processes.  Of course, the terms
are indeed very descriptive and naturally follow their use in the
hierarchical relationship in trees.  However, even in an office full
of engineers, exclaiming "My children are dying in the wrong order"
will get you some pretty concerned and questioning looks.  It's
even worse when you talk about killing them...

Yes, I did learn to use less dramatic phrasing after that.

BLS