[SIGCIS-Members] TechRepublic: The evolution of the laptop computer

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 11 01:09:13 PDT 2017

This feature is a good illustration of the vice-like grip that Firstism
seems to have on the templating of this kind of material, particularly
when we reach the final page, dealing with the Microsoft Surface.

I think a lot of people who are very far from being contextual
historians or STS scholars, but have a passing interest as mobile tech
users or buyers, would agree that the later Surfaces and Surface Pros
are interesting and influential in a way that the original Surface of
2013 really wasn't. The copy below the photo actually says this in so
many words. The piece has "evolution" in its title, and the main thing
you can do with the Surface story is to talk about iterative product
development. Nonetheless, the photo is of the 2013 device. Why? Because
it was "First"...

JS