[SIGCIS-Members] 1997 IEEE Conference on the History of Computing

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 05:22:36 PST 2017

Hi:

Am I right in understanding that this conference did not result in any published formal conference proceedings as such, though the book "From 0 to 1: an authoritative history of modern computing by Akera Atsushi and Frederik Nebeker” resulted from the conference five years later.

My records indicate that the paper I gave at the 1997 conference ("The Development of Computers and their History”) was at the request of the editors of "From 0 to 1” replaced by a very different paper “The New Electronic Technology”. (I have a copy of the former paper to hand, but not the latter.)

Have the actual papers delivered at the conference ever been published, i.e., were any actual conference proceedings ever issued?

Cheers

Brian Randell

—

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html