[SIGCIS-Members] Institutions actively collecting historical programs/software for long-term preservation

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Wed Apr 19 22:42:50 PDT 2017

"David C. Brock" <dcb at dcbrock.net> writes:

> Dear List:
>
> I wanted to compile a list of institutions and organizations that are
> today actively collecting historical programs/software (including
> games and art objects qua software) for long term preservation.
>
> Can you help?

I have two tips:

I remember rhizome.org, a long standing internet art archive / journal /
platform / etc. The New Museum in New York bought it some time ago.
There were some articles on the museological work of preserving old
Macromedia Flash works and so on.

There is Jason Scott who is an underground legend and hacker archivist.
He has various project such as textfiles.com, an archive of ASCII art
and plain text zines. One of the recent ones is preserving old computer
games through a universal (web based?) emulator. Works for archive.org
now, and leads the unaffiliated Archive Team of radical archivists.

I would be interested to see your collection of collections when it is
compiled...

--
maxigas, kiberpunk
FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614 0901 7879 63BC 287E D166

~ We are the static site generation!