[SIGCIS-Members] History of intellectual property in computing?

Annette Vee annettevee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:31:38 PDT 2016

Along the lines of the work that Nathan Ensmenger recommends
(humanist/sociology/rhetoric/history), I'd also suggest Gabriella Coleman's
work on hacker's code and speech (particularly an article in Cultural
Anthropology, "Code is Speech"). I have an article in Computational Culture
on the metaphors used to describe code in the law, "Text, Speech, Machine":
http://computationalculture.net/article/text-speech-machine-metaphors-for-computer-code-in-the-law
.

There's of course a huge body of work on this in law journals, particularly
by Pamela Samuelson, Michael Madison, Greg Lastowka, Robert Merges, Mark
Lemley, Julie Cohen, Dan Burk, and even a great write-up on copyright
feasibility for computer programs by Justice Breyer in the Harvard Law
Review in 1970.

Annette Vee
Assistant Professor of English
University of Pittsburgh