[SIGCIS-Members] Syllabus: Women in the History of Computing

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Fri Oct 21 13:46:21 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to design and offer a new class this year on women in
the history of computing. I wanted to share the syllabus with you:
http://www.mariehicks.net/syllabi.html

The course looks at how gender, race, and sexuality restructure the
narratives of computing history and it also asks students to engage with
historiographical issues surrounding how computing history has been written
at different points (biography, company histories, hardware, software,
labor, etc.).

My students have been very into it so far, and some of their work is
online: http://digitalhistorylab.com/?p=205 (Scroll down to the comments
section to see a small selection of the student essays submitted for this
paper assignment.)

Best,

Marie

Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL USA
mhicks1 at iit.edu | mariehicks.net <http://www.mariehicks.net> | @histoftech
<http://twitter.com/histoftech>

*Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost
Its Edge in Computing*
www.programmedinequality.com