[SIGCIS-Members] Science wars quote that scientists can teach English but not vice versa

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:18:11 PDT 2016

Thanks James,

For the benefit of the list:

"If, taking a fanciful hypothesis, the humanities department of MIT (a
bastion, by the way, of left-wing rectitude) were to walk out in a huff, the
scientific faculty could, at need and with enough released time, patch
together a humanities curriculum, to be taught by the scientists themselves.
It would have obvious gaps and rough spots, to be sure, and it might with
some regularity prove inane but on the whole it would be, we imagine, no
worse than operative. What the opposite situation-a walkout by the
scientists-would produce as the humanities department tried to cope with the
demand for science education, we leave the reader's imagination.. The notion
that scientists and engineers will always accept as axiomatic the competence
and indispensability for higher education of humanists and social scientists
is altogether too smug."

My searches for terms like "teach" and "English" and "sick" went just around
the words here. In that sense it's cattier than I remembered - the humanists
are walking out in a huff rather than being hit by a plague.