[SIGCIS-Members] Good video on history of the Internet?

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 17:29:44 PST 2015

the 24 hours in cyberspace is the translation of what news people view as
the internet.
I think we did much better in "the network nation" (hiltz and turoff) still
available from MIT press via amazon.  The essence of the internet is that
any set of people who have some common interest they want to share and find
one another no matter where they are in the world and form a social group,
community, taskforce, or any other collaborative undertaking.   The EIES
system in 1975 was a social media system and it evolved lots of
communication structures that work for different purpose but as yet are
still not implemented on the Web because everyone is focusing on what will
be the electronic version of the black telephone that everyone used in the
early days of the phone network.  As a result a lot of possible systems
that would better service small cohesive communities do not yet exist.  As
an example the use of current social media to help out in emergencies has
been useful but no where near what could be done if people had access to a
system really designed to allow wide scale public use in an emergency.  The
industry has been focusing on mass market systems which is what happens as
part of the commercial process.

  Unfortunately, the sponsorship of real research in tailored communication
system focusing on the nature of a group wanting to communicate and the
application that brings them together.  While we know a lot about what, for
example, voting can do for group, other than the amazon 5 star feedback
system none of the current social media systems have put in small group
voting process  such as is done in Delphi studies (see the Delphi Method
Book (from 1975, free on my website) and some of the original research
studies from the early EIES system free from the NJIT library
http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php

Most of the original research reports are there and are more complete than
most of the published papers from that period.   There is also user manuals
for EMISARI which was the first collaborative system designed for
asynchronous communications in an emergency in 1971 and which operated for
the government to run the 1971 wage price freeze and for 15 years of
emergency operations after that.  The Delphi conference which was designed
in 1970 and was the first ever asynchronous group system was used as the
software bases for the creation of EMISARI (Emergency Management
Information System and Reference Index)

Delphi method book at http://is.njit.edu/turoff
a lot of the early work on online education is at http://is.njit.edu/hiltz

The very first collaborative asynchronous system for dispersed members was
published here

Turoff, Murray, Delphi Conferencing:  Computer Based Conferencing with
Anonymity, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 3, 159-204, 1972.
(actually occurred in 1971)

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Alex Ramirez <AlexRamirez at cunet.carleton.ca

*please send messages to murray.turoff at gmail.com <murray.turoff at gmail.com>
do not use @njit.edu <http://njit.edu> addressDistinguished Professor