[SIGCIS-Members] CHM Fellows Award - Evelyn Berezin (The Movie!)

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:10:48 PDT 2015

Dag,

This is fabulous. List members might be interested to know that I recently
took an hour-long oral history with Ms. Berezin as background for my work
on the literary history of word processing. She relates many of the same
stories in a good deal more detail (and also has others besides!) Truly a
fascinating and accomplished computing pioneer. Matt

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Dag Spicer <dspicer at computerhistory.org>
wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I thought you might enjoy this short film we created here at CHM about
> Eveyln Berezin, whom we made a CHM Fellow this year (along with Charles
> Bachman and Bjarne Stroustrup).  These films were shown at the Fellow
> Awards ceremony last Saturday.  Berezin designed some of the earliest
> commercial electronic computers for such firms as Elecom (Underwood) and
> Teleregister, including a massive-scale airline reservation system based on
> a triplex-CPU that didn’t fail once over its 11-year lifetime.  She then
> started her own electronics manufacturing company building a groundbreaking
> word processing system (known as “The Data Secretary”), which grew to 500
> employees at which point she sold the firm to Burroughs.
>
> Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMF9poE2bAc
>
> Dag
>
> For the companion films..
>
> Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++ :
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcC26nnipxs
>
> Charles Bachman, database pioneer:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0_gwrrS3jY
> --
> Dag Spicer
> Senior Curator
> Computer History Museum
> Editorial Board, IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
> 1401 North Shoreline Boulevard
> Mountain View, CA 94043-1311
>
> Tel: +1 650 810 1035
> Fax: +1 650 810 1055
>
> Twitter: @ComputerHistory

Matthew Kirschenbaum
Associate Professor of English
Associate Director, Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
(MITH)
University of Maryland
301-405-8505 or 301-314-7111 (fax)
http://mkirschenbaum.net and @mkirschenbaum on Twitter