[SIGCIS-Members] CHM Fellows Award - Evelyn Berezin (The Movie!)

Dag Spicer dspicer at computerhistory.org
Fri May 1 09:21:27 PDT 2015

Dear friends,

I thought you might enjoy this short film we created here at CHM about Eveyln Berezin, whom we made a CHM Fellow this year (along with Charles Bachman and Bjarne Stroustrup).  These films were shown at the Fellow Awards ceremony last Saturday.  Berezin designed some of the earliest commercial electronic computers for such firms as Elecom (Underwood) and Teleregister, including a massive-scale airline reservation system based on a triplex-CPU that didn’t fail once over its 11-year lifetime.  She then started her own electronics manufacturing company building a groundbreaking word processing system (known as “The Data Secretary”), which grew to 500 employees at which point she sold the firm to Burroughs.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMF9poE2bAc

Dag

For the companion films..

Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++ : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcC26nnipxs