[SIGCIS-Members] EuroScience OpenForum, Manchester, July 2016

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 25 13:55:32 PDT 2015

Dear SIGCIS members

With the usual apologies for floating a possibility far too close to the
deadline:

The EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) is a two-yearly summit and showcase,
aimed at the European science community and its "global partners", which
leans particularly to the engagement of science and engineering with
policymakers, business and public audiences and tends to be well covered
by international science journalists.

The next meeting will be happening in Manchester (UK) from Friday 22 to
Wednesday 27 July 2016, and the University of Manchester is keen to use
its international networks to develop contributions. Formally, the ESOF
definition of "science" extends to arts and humanities research of all
kinds, although the opportunities are unsurprisingly particularly strong
in fields connected to science, engineering and innovation. Full details
are at
http://www.esof.eu/

One of the official themes is particularly close to SIGCIS community
interests:

===
Turing’s legacy - data and the human brain

In the city of Alan Turing we put forward a theme which combines his
direct legacy in artificial intelligence and the interface of humans
with machines, together with the wider issues posed by data, online
information exchange and communication in our society. As major projects
address the nature of the human brain and our ability to simulate it, we
ask where this is taking us? In the world of big data, what is the
significance of the new analytics for scientific and citizen activities?
What ethical, social and legal challenges are raised? Communication and
learning as a sub-theme opens up issues of human development.

Suggested issues to explore:

  * Artificial intelligence
  * Mapping the brain
  * Human-computer interface
  * Mathematical logic and computer science
  * Visualisation
  * Big data and behavioural analytics
  * Privacy, security, ethics and integrity
  * The future internet
  * The Internet of Things
  * Communication and learning

===

-- while another theme, "Science in our cultures", has possibilities for
the history and social studies of IT more broadly.

ESOF seeks speaker panels for relatively brief speaker sessions (75
minutes, can be doubled) and favours non-traditional formats. The
challenge, as so often the case with this kind of meeting, is that
there's a strong requirement for international participation ("the
proposed speakers/participants within sessions should come from multiple
countries and overall geographical balance will be sought in the
programme") but no funding for travel or accommodation, so contributors
would need to be self-supporting.

Is anyone interested in proposing or contributing to a session? If so,
please send me details of a possible area of coverage, and I'll do my
best to co-ordinate.

Submissions do not (as far as I can see) require detailed paper
information, but the deadline for outline session abstracts is *early on
Monday morning* (1 June), so I'd need to hear from you by Friday at the
latest.

All best
James