[SIGCIS-Members] Exhibition of personal computing history and interdisciplinary study of computer history

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:31:07 PST 2015

Dear all

Thanks to all who have responded. I'll reply off-list where appropriate,
but I'd like to put out a further call for experiences relating to
something in Kimon's message: the practical side of sourcing and working
with historic objects for hands-on exhibition.

Traditional museums, of course, are oriented to collecting and
displaying high-value items in ways that minimise the risk of damage or
alteration. Some of the museum professionals I've talked to about
exhibitions that feature relatively free access to working disposable
items have reported a difficulty that's not really a culture clash --
there is a lot of sympathy for the hands-on ideal -- as a shortage of
clear precedent. There's no "industry wisdom", for instance, on
acquiring items: those I've spoken to in the UK have tended to source
them informally from eBay. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone
who has already exhibited along these lines, on the cost and reliability
of the machines chosen, rates and causes of attrition (or steps taken to
avoid it), and any challenges presented by keeping up a replacement
cycle for (supposedly identical) equipment.

I'm also particularly struck by Kimon's decision to use custom-designed
display applications, which I'm guessing is a targeted response to a
familiar problem: users who are newcomers to the machines can't have a
meaningfully authentic interaction with authentic period software,
because they don't have the investment and the web of background
knowledge that were key to the experience. There are some exceptions --
I've seen 80s games and educational software picked up by newcomer
audiences, though only a minority work particularly well. Thoughts
welcome, as ever.

All best
James