[SIGCIS-Members] Google boss warns of 'forgotten century' with email and photos at risk

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Feb 13 09:49:46 PST 2015

And at the University of Washington, I've worked on a Multi-Lifespan
Information Systems project, the Voices from the Rwanda Tribunal.  This is
a real-world application of design principles to support both the
bit-integrity and authenticity of digital documents, in this case the
audiovisual record of interviews with members of the International Criminal
Tribunal - Rwanda formed in the aftermath of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
Last year, I conducted maintenance on the archive and we learned a great
deal about the challenges involved - publication pending.  :-)

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Len Shustek <len at shustek.com> wrote:

> At 03:07 AM 2/13/2015, Brian Randell wrote:
>
>> > Digital material including key historical documents could be lost
>> forever because programs to view them will become defunct, says Vint Cerf
>>

> We've been beating that drum for a while at the Computer History Museum,
> starting with a short film for the general public called "Digital Dark Age"
> that we did in 2011 for our permanent "Revolution" exhibition.
> http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/memory-storage/8/325/2208
>
> The inspiration for that film was my discovery that modern versions of
> Powerpoint won't open presentations created by Powerpoint 1.0, which was
> released in 1990. In only twenty years, perfectly preserved bits were
> rendered useless.
>
> -- Len

Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS
Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School
University of Washington

An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An
engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.